The Reign of the Fisher King
See the UA rules (mostly Chapter Three) for all the details about creating characters, but here’s a summary of what you need to do:
- Give your character a name and a profession. His or her profession should allow some freedom to move around within the context of the campaign. “Taxi driver” or “cop” is good. “Soldier currently deployed to Iraq” not so much.
- Determine your trigger event. (See UA p. 26.)
- Determine your obsession. (See UA p.30.) If you want to start the game as an adept or an avatar, this is important.
- Determine your three passions (see UA p.31):
- Fear, with corresponding stress meter
- Describe your personality traits. (See UA p.34 for some examples.)
- Spend 220 points on your four stats. (See UA p.36.)
- Buy skills as per UA p.38.
- You have 15 bonus skill points to spend however you wish.
- You have the following free skills at 15%:
- Body: General, Athletics, Struggle
- Speed: Dodge, Driving, Initiative (starts at half speed stat instead of 15%)
- Mind: General Education, Notice, Conceal
- Soul: Charm, Lying
- Define your obsession skill. If it’s Struggle, you get Cherries
- Define your paradigm Mind skill (if any). With this comes one hardened notch on one stress meter, and one permanent failed notch on one stress meter (possibly the same).
- Define some good role-playing hooks:
- Find a picture (maybe an actor) who personifies your PC. This will help the other players get a handle on you.
- What’s something in your life that you’d like to fix? Maybe you have a shitty boss who rides you all the time. Maybe you’re looking for your estranged sister. Maybe your ex is trying to blackmail you and it would be great if she, uh, disappeared. Could be anything you want so long as it fits in with everything above.
- Who are your close family and friends?
- What do you always carry with you, and why? Cell phone? Gun? Picture of dead kid?
- Do you know any of the other PCs? Are you related? Neighbors? Co-workers? Former cellmates?
- Is there anything else that would be obvious about your character (missing a limb, talks with a lisp, tattoo, etc.)?
- Do you have any current connection to anything magick (other than if you’re adept or an avatar)? Maybe you think your neighbor is a vampire. Maybe you have an old book that creeps you out. Whatever.